Tapping New Resources

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Lesson 7 - Rough Day for Teach

Poor Tanis - she was supposed to be at her daughter's school volunteering, but the substitute instructor that was supposed to be there today bailed on her. On top of that she's wasn't at all well today. So it was a day for review and repetition.

She had us pair up and go through the routines with each other, and that was actually really helpful in getting everything in memory, and in getting some of the tougher stuff ironed out. I still struggle with the shuffle ball change, especially in the Stevie Wonder tune, as it has to happen pretty fast. The cool thing is, even though I don't have it down, it sort of sounds like I do - I'm faking it some how.

The other move that I mess up on is the sideways shuffle thing, but again I've got to the point where I can fake it sort of. And sometimes when I think I'm faking it, I find I'm actually doing it.

Then there's a part where you do this toe tapping bit, then drag the footback, stomp, turn the other way, and repeat with the other foot. It looks simple, but the goofy part is that it takes up only seven beats on each foot, with two beats to get into it. I try not to think about it, because it always works out to taking up sixteen beats somehow. When I try to follow and count I totally blow it.

I'm beginning to really enjoy that one. The other one with the vines and the Shim-Sham Shimmy I do better at, but I still have a heck of a time jumping from the half vine to the scissors step, both because of the sudden change from step-behind to step-in-front, and because of the weight transfer and the way you have to jump into the scissors from the vine so quickly. I end up waiting out the first couple of scissors, then jumping in on the third one.

I always screw up the bit in the back row, where we do three half vines and a four step march in a circle. I tend to be off balance a lot on the half vines.

Shoe issues: that loose tap on the one shoe is maybe too loose. One screw was actually sticking out a bit toward the end, and I was worried about gouging the floor with it. There was a screwdriver in the drawer under the sound system, and I tightened it up, but it didn't feel like it was going to stay. I'll have to watch that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home